January 9, 2011

January DAL

This month's Dye a Long theme was Polka Dots. I hadn't done any dying in a while, burnt out the alongs weren't as interesting to me. But polka dots. Fun!
I soaked the yarn in vinegar and water. Then spread it out on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil. Mixed some food coloring with vinegar and water. One Red, one Yellow, and one Blue; primaries so if there was some bleeding of overlay all would be good. Then The Bug and I flung the dye onto the yarn with paint brushes. It's fun to fling dye!
Then I covered it in tin foil stuck in the an oven set at 180 for 20 minutes. Turned off the oven and let it sit for about an hour before taking it out and removing the tin foil to let it cool.
And here it is reskeined and a bit bleached out by the camera. It's going to make some fun socks.

No comments: