August 23, 2013

Going against the hype

 This was going to be my this moment picture but then I decided to write something.  It really doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the post, but I like it.
Our area schools went back this week.  The hype is everywhere; in the stores, in the emails, on Facebook.  All those first day of school pictures.  My kid was in her birthday suit; sigh.  It's everywhere and lots of homeschoolers get caught up in it.  Every year I work hard not to.  I mean I take advantage of those sales on paper and pens and stuff.  But I don't want to get sucked into a great deal on some curriculum that isn't how we school.
Just by coincidence we went to the Library on the first day of school.  I'd seen this new book about Egypt at a bookstore.  It was written for adults who want to read about Egypt; not many pictures.  And somehow this was the moment that I realized that there was no reason The Bug wouldn't want to hear this book.  It's not on audio; but it's brand new so I'll keep looking.  And for some reason it has taken me this long to go to the regular (not kids') non-fiction area of the library and seek out books on Egypt there.  I don't know why I'm so slow.  These books above are chock full of great pictures and captions.  We aren't going to read them cover to cover but I doubt most people do.  The Bug's reaction to this area was her usual; I want to read all things!  I had to put a limit on the number of books just because they are SO HEAVY and I had only brought the little shoulder bag not the big wheely bag.  After much deliberation on her part these are the three she picked. 

We had decided the day before to have a sort of not-going-back-to-school party.  So we also picked beans in the garden, made cookies, and grilled dinner.  Things one doesn't get to do when one goes back to school.  

No comments: