September 13, 2009

Watermelon

This week I bought a big watermelon at the farmer's market.

Isn't that beautiful? So lovely and red. Tastes as good as it looks. I dehydrated some, which is as sweet as candy with such an intense watermelon taste. It really seems like the thing I have dehydrated have more flavor punch than stuff you buy at the store. But maybe I'm just biased.

The Bug and I made a pink smoothie yesterday. Watermelon, yogurt, banana and a dash of vanilla. So good and so pink.

Then there are the pickled watermelon rinds. Weird right? I read the recipe in a preserving the harvest book I got and thought, "weird". But then it wouldn't get out of my head. I kept thinking about it. So here it is. Haven't tried any yet; hope it tastes good.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

you will have to let us know how they taste.

jcg said...

Wow, I liked pickled watermelon rinds when I was a kid.
And I'm not crazy about watermelon.
You've been busy.